Fellow, Program on Extremism, Center for Cyber and Homeland Security, The George Washington University, Washington D.C.
Staff Associate, Institute for Social and Economic Research and Policy, Columbia University, New York, NY.
Research Funding from Policy Organizations
Co-Principal Investigator, "Source, Content, or Intergroup Contact? A Field Experiment on Reducing Extremism in Kenya". Funded by approx. $80,000.00 from the U.S. Department of State.
Co-Principal Investigator, "Broadcasting Peace: A Field Experiment on Countering Extremism in Afghanistan's Jalalabad Province". Funded by approx. $14,000.00 from the U.S. Institute of Peace - Kabul Office.
Policy Research Presentations
I have been invited to present my research at meetings with policymakers from the U.S. government, the United Nations, European governments, and leading think tanks around the world. Recent presentations took place at the U.S. State Department's Bureau of Counterterrorism (February 2017); the Canadian Foreign Ministry (March 2016); and the International CVE Research Conference organized by the Hedayah Institute in Abu Dhabi (December 2015).
Papers and Report Chapters
1. Kunaal Sharma. “What Causes Extremist Attitudes Among Sunni and Shia Muslims? Evidence from Northern India”. Occasional Paper for The George Washington University’s Program On Extremism, Center for Cyber and Homeland Security. November 2016. Available online here.
2. Kunaal Sharma. “Experimental Methods for CVE: Countering Extremism via Elite Persuasion in India” in Expanding Research on Countering Violent Extremism (ed. Sara Zeiger), The Hedayah Institute, September 2016. Available online here.
3. Anselm Rink and Kunaal Sharma. “The Causes of Radicalization in Kenya” (with Anselm Rink). Research Paper for The Brookings Institution Project on U.S. Relations with the Islamic World. Forthcoming , Fall 2017.
1. Egor Lazarev and Kunaal Sharma. 2015. “What will it take to get Europeans to welcome Syrian Refugees? Here’s part of the answer.” Monkey Cage (blog), The Washington Post, November 4, 2015.
2. “Unholy Hatred: Lucknow’s Sectarian Violence And A Way Forward,” India In Transition, Center for the Advanced Study of India, University of Pennsylvania, July 13, 2015. Also published as “Ending Lucknow’s Unholy Hatred” in The Hindu: Business Line (India), July 13, 2015.
3. “The War Next Door: How Syria is Shaping Politics in Turkey,” Tony Blair Faith Foundation, March 30, 2015.